Wednesday, August 17, 2011

NEWS RELEASE -- New Work Permits Needed for School Year

NEWS RELEASE from the San Diego Unified School District, August 17, 2011


SAN DIEGO -- As the 2011-2012 school year begins, working minors and their
employers are reminded of the state law that requires any employee less
than 18 years of age who has not graduated from high school or passed the
California High School Proficiency Examination to have a Permit to Employ
and Work.

Minors are responsible for obtaining this work permit application and
employers are required to terminate the employment for any minor for whom
they do not have an active work permit.

Minors who have graduated from high school or passed the California
proficiency exam may give a copy of their high school diploma or
proficiency exam certificate to their employer in lieu of a work permit.
Minors who have not fulfilled one of these requirements must be enrolled
in school in order to have a work permit application processed. A passing
score on the California High School Exit Exam (CAHEE) does not exempt
minors from work permit requirements.

All current work permits expire on September 13, following the start of
the new school year on September 6. The expiration date is indicated on
all permits.

Students may obtain application forms, or get information about work
permits and child labor laws, at any high school, or contact the
district¹s work permit office at (858) 627-7355, or see the website at <>

# # #


Kathy Parker
Work Permit Office
Office of College, Career & Technical Education
San Diego Unified School District
(V) 858-627-7355(F) 858-627-7361

Jack Brandais
Communications Department
San Diego Unified School District
(619) 725-5570 (Desk)
(619) 607-0477 (Cell)

You are a subscriber to the news release mailing list for the San Diego Unified School District. To unsubscribe, send a message to "media@lists-sandi-net" with the word "unsubscribe" in the body of the message. For an archive of these releases, go to