MEDIA ADVISORY -- Media Calendar from the San Diego Unified School District, June 10, 2016
Your coverage is invited of any of the following upcoming events on the campuses of the San Diego Unified School District. For more items, check out the calendar on the front of the district website at www.sandiegounified.org.
Please note that if items are listed as "not open to the public" or "open to families," accredited members of the media are invited, but the general public is not. These are usually items during the school day on the school campus.
For a calendar of noticed public meetings, as well as links to agenda items and other information, go to www.sandiegounified.org/board-meeting-information. Those meetings might not be included in this listing.
MEDIA CONTACT: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578, email@example.com.
* -- New item this week.
11 -- VanGO! Festival Benefiting Washington Elementary School, noon to 6 p.m., Washington Elementary School, 1789 State St., San Diego, CA 921. Little Italy community celebration benefits Washington Elementary School and features sciences and arts in one event. Contact: Rodger N. Ashworth, STEAM Magnet Science Resource Teacher, Washington Elementary STEAM Magnet, 619-344-6300. Open to the public.
11 -- Day of Compassion Celebration, 6-9 p.m., Henwood Memorial Park, 3799 44th St., San Diego CA 92105. Leaders from public schools, community partners, and diverse faith communities will join together to promote, teach, and demonstrate compassion as a part of the fourth-annual Day of Compassion. Hoover High School Jazz Band and Chamber Orchestra will perform. Cherokee Point Principal Godwin Higa, San Diego Unified Police Chief Reuben Littlejohn and San Diego Unified School Police Officer John Serrano are among those who will be honored. Contact: Rev. Jessica Strysko, Associate Pastor, First United Methodist Church of San Diego, 619-297-4366, ext. 131. Open to the public.
* 13 -- Lincoln High Cluster Meeting, 5 p.m., Lincoln High School auditorium, 4777 Imperial Ave., San Diego, CA 92113. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Lincoln High School cluster area: Baker, Balboa, Chavez, Chollas/Mead, Encanto, Horton, Johnson, Knox, Nye, Porter, Valencia Park and Webster elementary schools; Millennial Tech middle schools; and Lincoln High School. Contact: Philip Liburd, Chairperson, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 13 -- Madison Community of Schools meeting, 5 p.m., Madison High School, 4833 Dolvia Drive, San Diego, CA 92117. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Madison High School area: Field, Hawthorne, Lafayette, Lindbergh/Schweitzer, Sequoia and Whitman elementary schools; CPMA and Innovation middle schools; Mt. Everest Academy; Muir K-12; Madison High School. Contacts: Richard Nash, Principal, Madison High School, email@example.com; Michael Snyder, Community Member, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 13 -- Mira Mesa Cluster Council meeting, 5:30 p.m., Mira Mesa High School, 10510 Reagan Road, San Diego, CA 92126. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Mira Mesa High School area: Ericson, Hage, Hickman, Salk, Mason, Sandburg, Walker elementary schools; Challenger, Wangenheim middle schools; Mira Mesa High School. Open to the public. Contact: Bob Turner, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 13 -- San Diego High Cluster meeting, 5:30 p.m., San Diego High School, 1405 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92101. Parents, students and community members are invited to attend this meeting, which discusses educational issues at the high school and its middle and elementary schools. Schools in the San Diego High School cluster are: Birney, Burbank, Emerson/Bandini, Florence, Garfield, Jefferson, Kimbrough, McKinley, Rodriguez, Sherman and Washington elementary schools; Golden Hill, Grant, Language Academy, Logan and Perkins K-8 schools; Memorial Prep Middle School; and San Diego High School. Open to the public.
14 -- LCAP Board Workshop, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Ballard Parent Center Auditorium, 2375 Congress St. (92110). Board of education will be reviewing the draft of the 2016-17 LCAP. Open to the public. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
14 -- Board of Education Meeting, 5 p.m., Eugene Brucker Education Center, 4100 Normal St., San Diego CA 92103. More information: https://www.sandiegounified.org/board-meeting-information. Open to the public.
* 15 -- East Village High School Fall 2016 Recruitment Event/Student Showcase and Spring Festival, 4-7 p.m., East Village High School, on the campus of San Diego High School, 1405 Park Blvd., San Diego, CA 92101. East Village High School (formerly San Diego Early/Middle College), partnered with San Diego City College, welcomes the community to attend its first Recruitment/Student Showcase and Spring Festival. Contact: Elizabeth Larkin, Principal, (619) 525-2000. Open to prospective 9th-12th grade students and their families.
* 15 -- Scripps Ranch Cluster meeting, 4:30 p.m., Marshall Middle School Community Room, 9700 Avenue of Nations, San Diego, CA 92131. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Scripps Ranch High School area: Dingeman, Jerabek, Miramar Ranch, Ellen Browning Scripps elementary schools; Thurgood Marshall Middle School; Scripps Ranch High School. Contacts: Luis Fregoso at firstname.lastname@example.org; Jen Marchesini, JMarchesini@san.rr.com. Open to the public.
20 -- Graduation ceremonies for Crawford, Hoover, iHigh, Mt. Everest, Muir and Serra high schools, times and locations vary. See https://www.sandiegounified.org/june-20-2016-high-school-commencements for details. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
20 -- Middle School Promotion Ceremony for Millennial Tech Middle School, 5 p.m., Lincoln High School Theater, 4777 Imperial Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113. Ceremony marks eighth-grade students from the Lincoln Park campus as they transition to grade nine at Lincoln High. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578. Open to the public.
21 -- Graduation ceremonies for Clairemont, Garfield, Patrick Henry, Kearny, La Jolla, Lincoln, Madison, Mira Mesa, Mission Bay, Morse, Pt. Loma, San Diego Early/Middle College, San Diego, San Diego Met, SCPA, Scripps Ranch, Twain and University City high schools. See https://www.sandiegounified.org/june-21-2016-high-school-commencements for details. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
21 -- Middle School promotion ceremonies, various locations. Middle schools on the traditional school-calendar are holding ceremonies for their eighth graders as they get ready to move to high school. Most of the ceremonies are scheduled for 8-11 a.m. For a complete list, go to https://www.sandiegounified.org/2016-middle-commencement-6-21 Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
21 -- Last day of school, traditional calendar.
28 -- Board of Education Meeting, 5 p.m., Eugene Brucker Education Center, 4100 Normal St., San Diego CA 92103. More information: https://www.sandiegounified.org/board-meeting-information Open to the public.
29 -- Summer Fun Cafe Kickoff, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Skyline Hills Community Park, 8285 Skyline Dr., San Diego 92114. Annual event to highlight the Summer Fun Cafe, a free lunch and activities program at parks and schools around San Diego. Co-sponsored by the San Diego Unified School District and City of San Diego. Media contact: Gary Petill, Director, Food and Nutrition Services, 858-627-7301. Open to the public.
4 -- Independence Day, all schools and offices closed.
21 -- Last day of school, year-round calendar.
29 -- First day of school, all calendars.
Media mailing list