MEDIA ADVISORY -- Media Calendar from the San Diego Unified School District, April 29, 2016
Your coverage is invited of any of the following upcoming events on the campuses of the San Diego Unified School District. For more items, check out the calendar on the front of the district website at www.sandiegounified.org.
Please note that if items are listed as "not open to the public" or "open to families," accredited members of the media are invited, but the general public is not. These are usually items during the school day on the school campus.
For a calendar of noticed public meetings, as well as links to agenda items and other information, go to www.sandiegounified.org/board-meeting-information. Those meetings might not be included in this listing.
MEDIA CONTACT: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, (619) 725-5578, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* -- New item this week.
30 -- Mission Bay High Music Jazz on the Green, noon to 3 p.m., Mission Bay High School, 2475 Grand Ave, San Diego CA 92109. The nationally renowned Mission Bay High School Music Program will hold its sixth annual Jazz on the Green outdoor music festival, which includes food from Tacos El Unico, Salsa dancing, and activities for the entire family. The featured guest artist this year is Grammy Award-Winning conguero, percussionist and educator Javier Cabanillas. Media contact: J.P. Balmat, email@example.com, 858-273-1313 x113, missionbaymusic.com. Open to the public.
1 -- Muirlands Rocks, 2-5 p.m., Muirlands Middle School, 1056 Nautilus Street, La Jolla, CA 92037. Fundraiser features student performances, games and activities, food and prizes. Proceeds benefit the Muirlands Middle School Foundation. Contact: Muirlands Middle School Foundation, 858-459-4211. Open to the public.
* 2 -- Hoover Cluster meeting, 4 p.m., Hoover High School library, 3373 El Cajon Blvd. (92115) Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Hoover High School area: Adams, Central, Cherokee Point, Edison, Franklin, Hamilton, Joyner, Normal Heights, Parks and Rowan elementary schools; Clark and Wilson middle schools; Hoover High School. Contact: Tia Anzellotti, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 2 -- Pt. Loma Cluster Schools Foundation meeting, 4:30 p.m., Correia Middle School library, 4302 Valeta Street (92107). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Pt. Loma High School area: Cabrillo, Dewey, Loma Portal, Ocean Beach, Silver Gate, Sunset View elementary schools; Correia and Dana middle schools; Pt. Loma High School. Contact: Suzy Reid, President, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 2 -- Serra High School Cluster Council, 4:30 p.m., Serra High School, 5156 Santo Road (92124). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Serra High School area: Hancock, Kumeyaay, Miller, Tierrasanta and Vista Grande elementary schools; De Portola and Farb middle schools; Serra High School. Contact: Maria Montgomery, Principal, Kumeyaay Elementary School, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
3 -- Day of the Teacher Celebration, 4:30 p.m., Creative Performing Media Arts Middle School Performing Arts Center, 5050 Conrad Ave., San Diego, CA 92117. Event honors the teaching profession. At the ceremony, all site Teacher of the Year honorees, Teacher of the Year candidates and district Teacher of the Year winners and runners-up will be recognized, along with Future Educator Scholars, and Mashin and STEM Scholarship recipients (selected by the San Diego Education Fund). Contact: Jennifer Rodriguez, District Communications, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 5 -- Mission Bay Cluster of Pacific Beach Schools meeting, 6 p.m., Sessions Elementary School, 2150 Beryl St., San Diego, CA 92109. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Mission Bay High School area: Barnard, Crown Point, Pacific Beach and Sessions elementary schools; Pacific Beach Middle School; Mission Bay High School. Contact: Jennifer Tandy, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
6 -- Deadline for submission of PrimeTime applications for 2016-17 school year. The program offers income-eligible families the opportunity for before- and after-school care. More information for public: http://www.sandiegounified.org/primetime Media-only contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Department, 619-725-5578.
6-- Taste of the Triangle, 7 to 10:30 p.m., UCSD Faculty Club, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla (92093). Annual fundraiser by the EdUCate foundation, which includes unlimited taste-testing from 16 different local restaurants. All proceeds benefit the public schools in University City. Contact EdUCate, at 858-677-0989 or email@example.com.
* 9 -- Crawford High Cluster Committee Meeting, 5 p.m., Fay Elementary, 4080 52nd Street (92105). Discussion and community dialogue with parents and community members in the Crawford High School area: Carver, Clay, Euclid, Fay, Ibarra, Marshall, Oak Park, Rolando Park elementary schools; Mann Middle School; and Crawford High School. Open to the public.
* 9 -- Madison Community of Schools meeting, 5 p.m., Madison High School Room 101, 4833 Dolvia Drive (92117). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Madison High School area: Field, Hawthorne, Lafayette, Lindbergh/Schweitzer, Sequoia and Whitman elementary schools; CPMA and Innovation middle schools; Mt. Everest Academy; Muir K-12; Madison High School. Contacts: Richard Nash, Principal, Madison High School, firstname.lastname@example.org; Michael Snyder, Community Member, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 9 -- San Diego High School Cluster Meeting, 5:30 p.m., San Diego High School library, 1405 Park Boulevard (92101). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the San Diego High School area: Birney, Burbank, Emerson/Bandini, Florence, Jefferson, Kimbrough, McKinley, Rodriguez, Sherman and Washington elementary schools; Golden Hill, Grant, Language Academy, Logan, Perkins K-8; Memorial Prep and Roosevelt middle schools; San Diego High School. Contact: David Crum, Principal, Washington Elementary School, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 11 -- Morse High Cluster Meeting, 5:30 p.m. Zamorano Fine Arts Academy, 2655 Casey Street (92139). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Morse High School area: Boone, Freese, Lee, Paradise Hills, Penn, and Perry elementary schools; Audubon, Bethune and Fulton K-8; Audubon and Fulton K-8; Bell Middle School; San Diego School for Creative and Performing Arts 6-12; Morse High School. Contact: JoAnn Fields, Chairperson, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 12 -- Kearny High Cluster Meeting, 5:30 p.m., Kearny High Complex Room 301, 1954 Komet Way (92111). Parents, students and community members are invited to attend this meeting, which discusses educational issues at the high school and its middle and elementary schools. Schools in the Kearny cluster are: Angier, Carson, Chesterton, Cubberley, Fletcher, Jones, Juarez, Linda Vista, Ross, and Wegeforth elementary schools; Montgomery and Taft middle schools; and Kearny High. Contact: Andrew Gergurich, co-chair, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
13 -- Rhapsody on the Point, 7 p.m., Humphreys Concerts by the Bay, 2241 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego CA 92106. Ninth annual highlight of the year for the Pt. Loma High School music program, with a classical music program performed by Pt. Loma HIgh musicians. More information: https://www.sites.google.com/site/rhapsodyonthepoint/ Media contact: Hans Becker, Principal, Pt. Loma High School, 619-223-3121. Open to the public.
17 -- Classified Employee of the Year Celebration, 4:15 p.m., Kearny High School Auditorium, 1954 Komet Way, San Diego, CA 92111. This event recognizes the invaluable efforts of the district's classified employees who work every day to create and sustain a healthy school environment for all students. All site and department honorees, as well as the district's 2016 Classified Employee of the Year winner and runner-up, will be recognized. Contact: Jennifer Rodriguez, District Communications, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 18 -- Scripps Ranch Schools Committee, 4:30 p.m., Marshall Middle School, 9700 Avenue of Nations, San Diego, CA 92131. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Scripps Ranch High School area: Dingeman, Jerabek, Miramar Ranch, Ellen Browning Scripps elementary schools; Thurgood Marshall Middle School; Scripps Ranch High School. Open to the public. Contact: Luis Fregoso, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 19 -- Clairemont Community of Schools meeting, Clairemont High School, 4150 Ute. Drive (92117). Discussion and community dialogue with parents, students, staff and community members in the Clairemont High School area, including middle and elementary schools that feed into Clairemont High. Contacts: Dr. Jennifer Roberson, Principal, Clairemont High School, co-chairperson, email@example.com; Julee Jenkins, parent, co-chairperson, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 19 -- La Jolla Cluster Association, 4:15 p.m., Muirlands Middle School Library, 1056 Nautilus Street (92037). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the La Jolla High School area: Bird Rock, La Jolla and Torrey Pines elementary schools; Muirlands Middle School; and La Jolla High School. Contact: Donna Tripi, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 23 -- University City Cluster Committee meeting, 4:30 p.m., Doyle Elementary School, 3950 Berino Court, San Diego, CA 92122. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the University City High School area: Curie, Doyle, Spreckels elementary schools; Standley Middle School; University High School. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
25 -- Salute to Excellence, 4:30 p.m., SeaWorld Nautilus Pavilion, 500 Sea World Dr. , San Diego, CA 92109. This event honors the top 1 percent of graduating seniors. Contact: Stacey Seiders, email@example.com. Open to the public.
27 -- Non-Instructional Day. All schools closed; offices open.
* 29 -- Memorial Day, all schools and offices closed.
* 1 -- Crawford High Benefit Featuring David Geist and Hannah Kornfeld, 7 p.m., auditorium, Crawford High School, 4191 Colts Way, San Diego, CA 92115. The Crawford High foundation is sponsoring a concert by pianist Geist, a 1980 Crawford graduate, and his daughter, Kornfeld, an actress, singer and dancer. Tickets: $27.37. More information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/crawford-high-benefit-concert-featuring-david-geist-hannah-kornfeld-tickets-24753880523 Open to the public.
* 14 -- Last day of school, traditional calendar.
* 4 -- Independence Day, all schools and offices closed.
21 -- Last day of school, year-round calendar.
* 29 -- First day of school, all calendars.
# # #
Media mailing list