MEDIA ADVISORY -- Media Calendar from the San Diego Unified School District, May 13, 2016
Your coverage is invited of any of the following upcoming events on the campuses of the San Diego Unified School District. For more items, check out the calendar on the front of the district website at www.sandiegounified.org.
Please note that if items are listed as "not open to the public" or "open to families," accredited members of the media are invited, but the general public is not. These are usually items during the school day on the school campus.
For a calendar of noticed public meetings, as well as links to agenda items and other information, go to www.sandiegounified.org/board-meeting-information. Those meetings might not be included in this listing.
MEDIA CONTACT: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, (619) 725-5578, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* -- New item this week.
14 -- McKinley Elementary Spring Green Day, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., McKinley Elementary School, 3045 Felton St., San Diego, CA 92104. This year's campus beautification projects include: Weeding and planting in the garden; Installing rain barrels; Art project for the kids; Cleaning up around campus; Finishing our new tool shed; Installing new tiles created this year by students. Sponsored by The McKinley Elementary School Beautification Committee. Contacts: Marney Jensen, email@example.com, or Jen Spencer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 14 -- Robot Programming Competition, 9 a.m. to noon, San Diego City College, 1313 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA 92101. The event will feature two-person teams competing through a series of challenges that involve using software to program an NAO interactive robot to perform different moves. It's sponsored by the San Diego Unified College, Career and Technical Education Department, Junior Achievement of San Diego and San Diego City College. Contact: Kristi Zimsky, Junior Achievement of San Diego County, 619-906-4926.
17 -- Classified Employee of the Year Celebration, 4:15 p.m., Kearny High School Auditorium, 1954 Komet Way, San Diego, CA 92111. This event recognizes the invaluable efforts of the district's classified employees who work every day to create and sustain a healthy school environment for all students. All site and department honorees, as well as the district's 2016 Classified Employee of the Year winner and runner-up, will be recognized. Contact: Jennifer Rodriguez, District Communications, email@example.com. Open to the public.
19 -- La Jolla Cluster Association, 4:15 p.m., Muirlands Middle School Library, 1056 Nautilus Street (92037). Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the La Jolla High School area: Bird Rock, La Jolla and Torrey Pines elementary schools; Muirlands Middle School; and La Jolla High School. Contact: Donna Tripi, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
* 20 -- STEAM Leadership Series at the USS Midway, 8:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m., USS Midway, 910 N. Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101. The latest STEAM Leadership Series event will take 300 San Diego Unified middle and high school students "From the Skies to the Streets" on the USS Midway. Students will learn about Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math career experiences from five local innovators and engage with new technologies from their companies. Contact: Kim Richards, 619-708-4430, email@example.com. Not open to the public.
23 -- Mira Mesa Cluster Council, 5:30 p.m., Mira Mesa High School, 10510 Reagan Road, San Diego, CA 92126. Discussion and community dialogue with school staff, parents and community members in the Mira Mesa High School area: Ericson, Hage, Hickman, Salk, Mason, Sandburg, Walker elementary schools; Challenger, Wangenheim middle schools; Mira Mesa High School. Contact: Bob Turner, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
25 -- Salute to Excellence, 4:30 p.m., SeaWorld Nautilus Pavilion, 500 Sea World Dr. , San Diego, CA 92109. This event honors the top one percent of graduating seniors. Contact: Stacey Seiders, email@example.com. Open to the public.
* 25 -- Fiesta de Mayo, 5-7 p.m., Spreckels Elementary School, 6033 Stadium Street, San Diego, CA 92122. Come see how we celebrate the school's Spanish language program and diversity through dance, food, song and entertainment. Contact: Michel Cazary, Principal, 858-453-5377. Open to the public.
27 -- Non-Instructional Day. All schools closed; offices open.
27 -- Adult School Commencement Ceremony, 5 p.m., Organ Pavilion, Balboa Park, Pan American Road East, San Diego CA 92101. The Class of 2016 for the San Diego Unified School District Adult School is holding its graduation ceremony. Richard Barrera, Board of Education Vice President, is scheduled to officiate. Ceremonies are held in conjunction with the San Diego Community College District. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578. Open to the public.
29 -- Memorial Day, all schools and offices closed.
* 31 -- Transition Resource Fair, 6-8 p.m., Ballard Parent Center Auditorium, 2375 Congress Street, San Diego, CA 92110. Students with special needs continue to have those needs after high school graduation; this fair will give parents and students ideas on what support and options are available. Contact: Roxanne Navarro, Special Education Division, 619-725-7698, firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public.
1 -- Crawford High Benefit Featuring David Geist and Hannah Kornfeld, 7 p.m., auditorium, Crawford High School, 4191 Colts Way, San Diego, CA 92115. The Crawford High foundation is sponsoring a concert by pianist Geist, a 1980 Crawford graduate, and his daughter, Kornfeld, an actress, singer and dancer. Tickets: $27.37. More information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/crawford-high-benefit-concert-featuring-david-geist-hannah-kornfeld-tickets-24753880523 Open to the public.
1 -- 12th Annual College, Career and Technical Education Showcase, 4 p.m., Liberty Station Conference Center, 2600 Laning Rd, San Diego, CA 92106. Actor-rapper-entepreneur Nick Cannon is scheduled to host the 5:45 p.m. awards ceremony for this event, which highlights skills and projects created by students in San Diego Unified's College, Career and Technical Education program. Contact: Betty-Jo Acker, 619-847-4466. Free and open to the public.
9 -- Kearny High Cluster Meeting, 5:30 p.m., Kearny High Complex Room 301, 1954 Komet Way (92111). Parents, students and community members are invited to attend this meeting, which discusses educational issues at the high school and its middle and elementary schools. Schools in the Kearny cluster are: Angier, Carson, Chesterton, Cubberley, Fletcher, Jones, Juarez, Linda Vista, Ross, and Wegeforth elementary schools; Montgomery and Taft middle schools; and Kearny High. Contact: Andrew Gergurich, co-chair, email@example.com. Open to the public.
20 -- Graduation ceremonies for Crawford, Hoover, iHigh, Mt. Everest, Muir and Serra high schools, times and locations vary. See https://www.sandiegounified.org/june-20-2016-high-school-commencements for details. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
* 20 -- Middle School Promotion Ceremony for Millennial Tech Middle School, 5 p.m., Lincoln High School Theater, 4777 Imperial Avenue, San Diego, CA 92113. Ceremony marks eighth-grade students from the Lincoln Park campus as they transition to grade nine at Lincoln High. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578. Open to the public.
21 -- Graduation ceremonies for Clairemont, Garfield, Patrick Henry, Kearny, La Jolla, Lincoln, Madison, Mira Mesa, Mission Bay, Morse, Pt. Loma, San Diego Early/Middle College, San Diego, San Diego Met, SCPA, Scripps Ranch, Twain and University City high schools. See https://www.sandiegounified.org/june-21-2016-high-school-commencements for details. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
21 -- Middle School promotion ceremonies, various locations. Middle schools on the traditional school-calendar are holding ceremonies for their eighth graders as they get ready to move to high school. Most of the ceremonies are scheduled for 8-11 a.m. Media contact: Linda Zintz, Communications Director, 619-725-5578.
21 -- Last day of school, traditional calendar.
4 -- Independence Day, all schools and offices closed.
21 -- Last day of school, year-round calendar.
29 -- First day of school, all calendars.
# # #
Media mailing list